An Amphibian Ark photography contest
Click here to view the top 100 photos!
Amphibian Ark will be producing another sensational amphibian calendar for 2012, featuring your stunning photos!
We’re running a really cool photographic competition so you can contribute your best photos for the calendar. Our panel of judges will select the twelve best images to be used in the calendar, with the overall winner featuring on the front cover.
|So shoot me! Photo courtesy Suzanne Niles.|
Calendars will be available for sale in August 2011. Proceeds will be used to assist Amphibian Ark conservation programs which are saving threatened amphibians. The production of our calendars is proudly supported by Fowler Printing & Graphics, Randolph, Massachusetts.
Entry to the competition closed on April 30th, and we recieved an overwhelming 950 entries. There are some amazing photos ampngst them, and the judges will have a tough time deciding on the twelve winning entries. Winners will be announced in early June.
Amongst the twelve winning entries, at least one photo will also be selected as the best images in each of these three categories:
In the wild – photos must be of amphibians in the wild. The location where the photo was taken must be provided.
In captivity – photos of amphibians in a captive environment, e.g. zoos, aquariums, pets etc.
Youth – open to photographers who are under 18 years of age.
The twelve best photos will be selected for use in the 2012 Amphibian Ark calendar. Additionally, amongst the twelve winning entries, one photo will also be selected as the best images in each of the categories of Youth, In the wild, and In captivity.
The winning photo in each of the three competition categories will receive:
- A copy of Frogs of Panama by Dr. Douglas Woodhams which explores the diversity of amphibians and the impact of disease on Panamanian populations (see www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/174126).
- A copy of Sapos, a beautiful book from Ecuador by Santiago Ron, Martin Bustamante, Luis Coloma and Belén Mena, which uses the surreal patterns and colors of naturally beautiful amphibians in combination with and as inspiration for graphic art (www.puce.edu.ec/zoologia/sron/sapos/index.html).
In addition, the twelve winning photos will each receive:
- A copy of the 2012 Amphibian Ark calendar, featuring the winning photos from this competition.
- A copy of Threatened Amphibians of the World published by the IUCN and NatureServe and edited by Simon Stuart et al. (www.lynxeds.com/product/threatened-amphibians-world).
- A copy of Treefrogs…prehistoric survivors with a global message – the latest book from National Geographic photographer Ted Schiffman (see http://www.tedschiffmanphotography.com/book-store/the-tree-frog-book).
Photos will be judged on composition, technical expertise and artistic merit. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. A panel of six judges has been appointed from Australia, Colombia, Italy and the USA.